The mission of The Saints shall be to support arts organizations (primarily not-for-profit) in Chicago and nearby communities through volunteer and charitable services.
Fostering an Active Arts Scene
The Saints also, through membership and benefit fundraising, provide direct financial grants to not-for-profit companies to support special artistic and capital projects in a competitive, annual program.
Additionally, if a performing arts organization needs help, we do whatever we can to accommodate them. Opportunities to assist include box office, database entry, answering phones, assisting with mass subscription mailings, distributing posters/flyers, re-organizing costume areas, monitoring audition calls, assisting at benefits and fund-raisers.
Members Have Access To
- A monthly newsletter, the Spotlight, listing the current many volunteer opportunities.
- CyberLine, the twice weekly email for volunteer updates
- Six general membership special events per year featuring speakers on various aspects of the performing arts
- Preferential ushering sign-ups for over 100 companies including theater, music, dance, and performance art
- Discounted (and sometimes free) tickets.
- An opportunity to socialize with others interested in the performing arts or members of the performing arts community.
An Amazing History
The Saints began our unique mission in 1980 as a volunteer arm of the late Saint Nicholas Theatre. After the closing of the Saint Nicholas Theatre, those Saints members, all of a dozen, sought another theatre to contribute their services. They finally selected the Organic Theater Company. Business at Organic was booming with E/R. but as it became more financially secure, it had less need for volunteer services. With Organic’s encouragement, Saints members began volunteering for other performing arts organizations. Eventually, the Saints became an independent organization. We believe that the Saints is the first and only organized volunteer support group with hundreds of members serving the diverse performing arts community of a major city and its suburbs.
Strong . . . and Growing
Our membership has steadily grown. We have passed 2000 members, with more added monthly. These members come not only from Chicago and the nearby suburbs, but from Indiana, Ohio, Florida and several other states and Canada!
Our grants have grown substantially as well. In 2015 we distributed $115,000 in grants to theaters and performing companies large and small across Chicagoland.
Please consider joining us or helping us in our work through a donation!